January 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm #29246
January 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm #289714January 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm #289710::
This will increase the chance of you being found. If you were to continue roaming around the forest, you could get lost deeper into the woods.
Authorities usually tell children to do this…..it’s easy to remember. “hugging” a tree won’t save you, it’s the fact that you are staying in one spot that helps.January 9, 2011 at 3:32 pm #289688January 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm #289679::
Hug a tree once you know you are lost. One of the greatest fears a person of any age can have is of being alone. Hugging a tree or other stationary object and even talking to it calms the child down, and prevents panic. By staying in one place, the child is found far more quickly, and can’t be injured in a fall.
Always carry a trash bag and whistle on a picnic, hike, or camping trip. By making a hole [*] in the side of the bag for the face, and putting it on over the head, it will keep the child dry and warm. The whistle is louder than the childs voice and takes less energy to use.
[*] Without this hole, there can be danger of suffocation.
My parents won’t be angry at me. Time and again children have avoided searchers because they were ashamed of getting lost, and afraid of punishment.
Anyone can get lost, adult or child. If they know a happy reunion, filled with love is waiting, they will be less frightened, less prone to panic, and work hard to be found.
Make Yourself Big. From helicopters, people are hard to see when they are standing up, when they are in a group of trees, or wearing dark and drab clothing. Find your tree to hug near a small clearing if possible.
Wear bright colored clothes when you go near the woods or desert. Lie down when the helicopter flies over. If it is cool and you are rested, make crosses or SOS using broken shrubbery, rocks, or by dragging your foot in the dirt.
There are no animals out there that want to hurt you. If you hear a noise at night, yell at it or blow your whistle. If it is an animal it will run away to protect itself. If it is a searcher, you will be found. Fears of the dark and of lions and tigers and bears are a big factor in panicking children into running. They need strong reassurance to stay put and be safe.
You have hundreds of friends looking for you. We have children in the local area of a search tell us, “My parents would never spend the money to search for me with all these people”. Search personnel are mainly volunteers who work with other professionals who charge nothing and do it because they care. Many children who are lost don’t realize that if they sit down and stay put, one of the many searchers will find them. Some are afraid of strangers and people in uniform, and don’t respond to yells. Many have actually hidden from searchers they knew were looking for them.
Footprinting your child is a five minute excercise that cuts down the time of a search by several hours. Have the child walk across a piece of aluminum foil on a soft surface, such as carpeting or a folded towel. Mark the foil with the child’s name. With this print, trackers can separate your child’s track from the hundreds of others in the area, and quickly determine the direction of travel.September 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm #257269
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Are you going to Hug a tree for Earth Day?
- Are You Going to Hug A Tree today??
- Are you supposed to hug trees naked on earth day?
- Could Gaia make a tree so big, that even a Pagan couldn't hug it?
- Did you hug a tree on earth day?
- do you get a warm, glowing sensation every time you hug a tree?
- Does anyone know why my question "Do you Hug Trees?" was removed? Well anyway, Do you hug trees?
- Have evil tree hug ging lib erals infected the mil itary?
- Have you ever wondered about your own consciousness?
- How is JesÃºs supposed to be supplied with wood for carpentry if there is the tree-hugging hippies blockade?
- i meditate and ive done past life regression ,ive met my spirit guide are there other thing similar possible ?
- If a tree hugger was alone in the woods did he really hug that tree? or did he just imagine it?
- If I hug a tree today, does that make me a dirty hippie?
- Is it a sin to sniff a tree? Maybe to hug it and say hello? Or to think sin is overrated?
- Is it proper to hug a tree if it's only 12 y.o.?
- is it true if you hug a tree you will get good luck??
- Isn't it better to hug a tree, and feel the exchange of energy, than have faith in a god, and just imagine you?
- ive been a baptist all my life but recently ive been engaged to be married with my broad shes native.?
- Should I try to make an unofficial Hug A Tree Day?
- Whats the best way to hug a tree?