Is there a scientific explanation for what happens to consciousness after death?

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down
    ::

Soul, energy, whatever you want to call it, is there any scientific study on this?
    NO RELIGIOUS EXPLANATION! Scientific explanation please!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

The brain stops functioning after a short time period after death (small electrical impulses still continue in the brain for around 24 hours after death), so consciousness would end with the cessation of brain activity.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Same thing that happens to the light in a bulb when the electricity goes off. It goes either to ‘Light Heaven’ or ‘Light Hell’

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

There is no reason to believe that anything of a person survives after death.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

The bible says your thoughts cease to exist in the grave.
    Satan told Eve she would live forever if she partook of the forbidden fruit.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Yes. Simple neuroscience explains consciousness as the workings of the brain. If the brain stops working as it does when someone dies, the expected result is that the consciousness ends.
    Please note I don’t want to argue anyone’s beliefs i’m simply pointing out that science does have an explanation behind consciousness and death.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Yes it stops.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Yes. A few of us killed ourselves to research it.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

No proof a soul exists. As far as consciousness, when you die your brain ceases to function at all and that is the end of conciousness.
    “Please note I don’t want to argue anyone’s beliefs i’m simply pointing out that science does have an explanation behind consciousness and death.”

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

If you take “consciousness” to be brain activity, scientifically it just stops. Think of a light bulb or computer after turning it off. It’s pretty much the same thing, there’s no more electricity in the brain to create thoughts etc., and so the brain is basically “off”.
    If you mean the soul, life force, whatnot it’s not so scientifically provable since that’s generally understood as a supernatural force.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I guess if you poked a dead guy, lets say with a ruler to be scientific, he won’t really care or do anything to stop you.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

as far as technology goes, right now we just arent able to do any in-depth testing on this. that’ll probably change in the not-to-distant future.
    there are many hypotheses floating around out there about specific biological processes that happen, but not much when it comes to the bigger picture.
    there isnt even a consensus of what consciousness is, or where it comes from, or why it’s there. but until science grows a little bit, i wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for a definitive experiment.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

When U die, i.e. the heart stops, u cease to breath! U R Dead, but it does take time for the entire body to shut down / shut off and all activities to cease!
    Hair, nails etc still grow, hence its necessary to shave males etc and attend to other items albeit male or female, all done in the mortuary, before the deceased is presented for view by relatives.
    There’s no after life or other “going-on-to-elsewhere”
    If its cremation the entire body is reduced to a mere pile of ashes
    If its burial, the body slowly rots in its coffin and eventually only the bones will remain! Not a pleasant thought and not what I personally want!
    There’s nothing left after life or to go on too! Religion has over the centuries indoctrinated us to believe we are immortal, not so on this Earth, but in a divine form or substance in the alleged heaven above us!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.