December 13, 2010 at 1:55 am #26310
December 13, 2010 at 2:41 am #308969December 13, 2010 at 3:35 am #308953December 13, 2010 at 4:24 am #308930December 13, 2010 at 4:35 am #308927December 13, 2010 at 4:37 am #308924::
Yes. Simple neuroscience explains consciousness as the workings of the brain. If the brain stops working as it does when someone dies, the expected result is that the consciousness ends.
Please note I don’t want to argue anyone’s beliefs i’m simply pointing out that science does have an explanation behind consciousness and death.December 13, 2010 at 5:36 am #308899December 13, 2010 at 6:05 am #308887December 13, 2010 at 6:41 am #308867December 13, 2010 at 7:00 am #308858::
If you take “consciousness” to be brain activity, scientifically it just stops. Think of a light bulb or computer after turning it off. It’s pretty much the same thing, there’s no more electricity in the brain to create thoughts etc., and so the brain is basically “off”.
If you mean the soul, life force, whatnot it’s not so scientifically provable since that’s generally understood as a supernatural force.December 13, 2010 at 7:59 am #308828December 13, 2010 at 8:16 am #308819::
as far as technology goes, right now we just arent able to do any in-depth testing on this. that’ll probably change in the not-to-distant future.
there are many hypotheses floating around out there about specific biological processes that happen, but not much when it comes to the bigger picture.
there isnt even a consensus of what consciousness is, or where it comes from, or why it’s there. but until science grows a little bit, i wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for a definitive experiment.December 13, 2010 at 9:00 am #308800::
When U die, i.e. the heart stops, u cease to breath! U R Dead, but it does take time for the entire body to shut down / shut off and all activities to cease!
Hair, nails etc still grow, hence its necessary to shave males etc and attend to other items albeit male or female, all done in the mortuary, before the deceased is presented for view by relatives.
There’s no after life or other “going-on-to-elsewhere”
If its cremation the entire body is reduced to a mere pile of ashes
If its burial, the body slowly rots in its coffin and eventually only the bones will remain! Not a pleasant thought and not what I personally want!
There’s nothing left after life or to go on too! Religion has over the centuries indoctrinated us to believe we are immortal, not so on this Earth, but in a divine form or substance in the alleged heaven above us!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Can I get a scientific explanation of Astral projection and out of body experiences?
- Can some explain what happens after loss of self-consciousness(death)?
- Do you have any thoughts on what happens to human consciousness after biological death?
- I'd like to know how many of you out there are secular humanists, and hear your explanation of consciousness.
- is there any scientific explanation for esp, astral projection, or telekinesis?
- Is there scientific proof of life after death?
- Is Witch craft and magic spells and potions real. And is there a scientific explanation to prove it?
- Scientific explanation of altered states of consciousness?
- Since animals have no soul and return to nothiness,what happens to animals to their consciousness after death?
- The most rational explanation for consciousness there is?
- The soul has zero metabolic function. It isn't necessary for the explanation of consciousness. What good is it?
- what do you think happens after death, do you think we will still maintain consciousness?
- What do you think really happens to the human mind & consciousness during death?
- What does aura photography prove, what is the scientific explanation for the "aura"?
- What happens to your consciousness after death?
- what happens when you escape reincarnation in buddhism what happens when you die and reach nirvana?
- What is Death and What happens to our consciousness during sleep?
- What is the scientific explanation for astral projection and telepathy?
- What is the scientific explanation for auras?
- What is the scientific explanation of human emotions? What are they actually ?