How much energy did earth hour save?

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down
    ::

Are there any estimates on how much energy was saved globally due to earth hour?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Heyaa .
    I think it hasn’t saved any energy but it has consume more energy than usual because switching on and turning off lights consumes twice energy as if you leave the lights on.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Do you mean those power plants were also shutdown? Because if didn’t there’s no meaning at all and its a waste of effort putting people in danger without light for one hour.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

The Earth Hour site doesn’t go very far to tell this because they stress the act as symbolic and advocacy, but a couple other sources tell various tidbits. One site says Toronto saved over 2 million kilowatts-hour while another site says northern Illinois saved 100,000 kilowatts-hour. For comparison the world supposedly used 14 billion kilowatt-hours per year, so you can see it’s not going to avert global warming or anything, but it is something.
    I saw this issue of power plant shutting down in another question, and I brought to their attention that according to that second source, the area’s electric consumption only decreased by 1% – so I’d need to see some proof or official declaration that any power plants were shutting down before I take that as more than a joke.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

You know, Joel, people on both sides of the question gave answers to that and each one was different. I don’t know which story to believe and I seriously doubt anything said by a republican or democrat because they will always slant their answers to look better for their side. I personally don’t think it made much difference at all since not everyone took part.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.