Can someone please tell me if True Buddha School is a cult or a legitimate Buddhist organization?

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down
    ::

My close friend joined this buddhist sect from Seattle WA sometime ago and ever since she joined she’s been acting really weird. She would chant her master (Grand Master Sheng-Yen Lu)’s mantra WHENEVER there’s any problems. The problem is IT NEVER WORKS! For example she’s really into the stock market and just a couple days ago she had a stock that was dropping like mad and she just sits there chanting her master’s mantra hoping it would come back up! I was so fed up with her weirdness I decided to do some research on my own about True Buddha School. What I found out was truly mindboggling. It turns out her master was accused of rape by his disciples. Please see this link and make your own judgements: http://www.shcstory.com/mystory.html Apparently Sheng-Yen Lu is from Taiwan and a self-proclaimed reincarnated LIVING BUDDHA! However no Rinpoche from any of the REAL tibetan tantric buddhist sects acknowledges him. Someone please help me talk some sense to my friend.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

all religions are cults, so your question doesn’t make a lot of sense…

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

its a false religion… so its a cult

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

that whole religion is a cult They dont believe in the trinity…

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

You need to show the information to your friend. This happens in every religion. It’s such a shame. This is not what Buddhism is about.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I have scoured the internet, and there does not seem to be a clear answer. Some buddhist organizations seem to recognize him, some do not (Tibetan Buddhism is not the only sect with Tantric Focusses or Practice). There could be a variety of reasons for both. Don’t worry so much about the chanting problem. The way your friend is practicing the chanting is not how True Buddha School teaches, which in brief is: “iv. In order to feel the effect of the Mantra, one must chant whole-heartedly”. Chanting a sacred mantra whole-heartedly is usually impossible while focussed on material gain.
    Whole heartedly practicing mantra is not done for material gain, but rather for spiritual enlightenment. I’ve checked out their main site, and though their are some quirky things – it seems to reflect a genuine tradition.
    Has your friend been practicing Buddhism regularly before seeing this guy? It doesn’t sound like it. My recomendation would be for your friend to read some of the original words of the Buddha (Guatama – the first one). For the sake of having a contrast to possibly questionable practices, I would strongly recomend she inquire to original sources of this man’s teachings. If he recomends mantra, research mantra and compare. If he recomends tantra, research tantra and compare. Accusations are not enough to de-bunk the truth.
    The weirdness you speak of is normal. Often when someone has spiritual experiences, they can no longer act in ways that people around them expect. Why? Because they have loosened those very expectations within themselves and are less reliant upon them. There is nothing wrong in this. However, it sounds like your friend might not be penetrating the true meaning of True Buddha School. Regardless of whether or not he’s a buddha, his website has some qenuine historic mantra practice information, that he has re-written as his own with slight differences. And genuine mantra practice, though it can start with a material world kind of focus, certainly does not ‘end’ in the stock market.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Well, it is so easy to defame someone without actual research or understanding of the whole things. Believe come from affinity whether a person or a subject. So may i ask who is a cult? A Buddha or yourself?

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

your question raises so many issues. i had a girlfriend from china who was a devoted follower of the true buddha society . she has not done very well here in the west and is presently in a psych ward in my town, she is having a tough time of it., i hope that things get better for her. i am familiar with the label ‘cult’ i was a teacher of transcendental meditation for many years and some fundamentalist christians seemed to take a lot of delight in bestowing us that label but at the end of the day there was a tremendous body of evidence that tm was beneficial in many ways. i read a little bit of info from the true buddha society[ there is very little in english, mostly mandarin]
    and what i saw did not allay my concerns for my friend. it consisted of very flashy subjective experiences expressed by the grand master which seemed to me to be self serving to show his students how advanced he was. i read a couple of discourses like that and came to the conclusion i didn’t like the direction which it seemed to take, maybe i missed the boat but i didn’t see the humility which is one of the cornerstones of buddhist theology in evidence. i could be wrong, i did not study it deeply but that was my perceeption. there was much more that could be said but enough for now, this is not meant to dis buddhism, i think it’s a wonderful teaching which stands as a testament of self discovery[ or selfless discovery if you prefer].
    so, in conclusion, yes i also have some reservations about the true buddha school
    ted

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Stay away from the True Bhudda School, it is only focused on their leader. Chants are directed to their leader, not the bhudda’s that should be worshipped.
    I have been to a dutch TBS temple, it is very focused on the financials and ‘lonely’ people. For instance one has to pay (a lot) for a prayer chain and the books (copied) containing prayer texts.
    This is a cult which abuses of buddha teachings, Lu Sheng-Yen is indeed a self-proclaimed buddha. If you just read his statements closely you will see the way he is trying to proof himself, which by itself is strange already. He’s claiming to have special powers and all the things false prophets talk about usually…
    STAY AWAY, THIS IS A SECT!

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I’m shocked at the comments I’ve just read. Its so easy to defame someone on the net without knowing the true answers. Sorry if my english is bad because its my second language. TBS shouldnt be focused on finances especially the books containing prayer texts. Everything should be pay/donate-as-you-wish. Even the grandmaster himself said that there are people out there using the TBS as a mean to make money.
    There are devotees of TBS that believes by chanting the grandmaster’s mantra they could gain monetary rewards, such as the original poster’s friend. Thats not what TBS stands for. sounds to me that the original poster friend had misunderstood the true meaning of TBS.
    I would love to explain more but I got to leave for work.
    Take care and lastly, Oh guru lian sheng siddhi hom.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

1. Everyone prays. You want something you don’t like to go away, you pray. You want something you don’t have, you pray. The more fundamental issue is WANT. Buddha will not interfere with the stock market. He teaches impermanence. Change is norm. No person gains anything ever. That is what Grand Master Lu teaches too. Even if he could, Grand Master Lu will not alter the natural course of stock rise or fall. But believe it or not, many disciples bug him for advice on which stock to invest all the time.
    2. There is no fault in hoping for/working towards financial abundance. There are methods in Tantric Buddhism to help you become wealthy. But believe it or not, all the methods include practices of chanting, prayer, meditation, and visualization. The concept is “entice with desire, then lead into Buddha wisdom.” Over time, you will learn the biggest secret, to be wealthy, you have to love to GIVE to others. That is the gist of praying to the many fortune deities in Tanttric Buddhism.
    3. Anyone can allege anyone else for wrongdoing. You sound surprised. I’ll stay away from what a supporter/disciple would say, but the truth is the case was dismissed because of lack of evidence. I’ll tell you this, in this world, it is very commonplace for love/longing to turn into hatred.
    4. Self-proclaimed Buddha? Ah..you read the wiki. His disciples began calling Grand Master Living Buddha long before he achieved buddhahood. Now if someone is truly enlightened and has achieved the same transcendental freedom as Gautama buddha himself, is he allowed to state so? While we are on that subject, we authenticated Gautama, Buddha himself? But if you really a fan of Tibetan Buddhism and rinpoches, hope this helps you: http://ccyy.myweb.hinet.net/Tibet/19810101.htm. If you don’t read Chinese, use Google Translate. But I’m sure the photos are pretty self explanatory.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I recently joined the True Buddha School after observing my mom who has been a TBS disciple for more than a decade. I’ve heard the controversies & read a lot of off-putting material. Grand Master even personally blessed me (along with a lot of people of course) Upon meeting him, the 1st thing that struck me is that he seems so solid in his ordinariness. The second is that I sensed there is nothing wrong with him. In all these years, he has spread his doctrine & has never been known to force anyone against their wishes. The only “scandal” attributed to him is that one case in Seatlle, which could be a scam. I am of course not pleased to read all these as I believe my lineage guru should be above reproach BUT the practices revealed by him if practised correctly with pure intentions should work. In the end, it is up to oneself to decide where to draw the line. According to my research, quite a number of Catholic priests are notorious for child abuse & tithes are mandatory yet it has not stopped Christians from going to church & give praise to the Pope. I do not feel TBS is a cult. Its always give-whatever-you-can. Its the people involved who give a lot of trouble. Go meet Grand Master for yourself & he will see that he is harmless. I cannot vouch for his many disciples though. I myself is not above reproach either.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

btw it is a legitimate buddhist organisation i.e. it is lawfully registered if not recognised by all. For those who are in doubt, just follow your heart. Although I’m all for Grand Master’s teachings, there is also much that I observe/heard that I personally do not much like, mainly how things are run but I do not complain as we all do the best we can & it is not easy to run an organisation as large as TBS. Also, not every religion is for everyone which is why devotees always say its one’s calling. In actual fact, he is propagating the realizations of past Buddhas. Granted his methods are less mainstream but from what I gathered, GM isn’t promising you material gain, he’s trying to help you to reach beyond this vicious cycle of life. Sometimes I wonder why he bothers coz if you really really look around you, the human condition has reached a catastrophic point, almost beyond hope. Case in point: read the news around the world everyday. Of course, there is beauty & goodness out there to balance it but prob not enough imo.
    Keep an open mind & God Bless (as they say)

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Your friend has joined The True Buddha School not for a religious reason but only hoping for financial gain ,therefore it’s not the Grand Master’s fault if she has misundersood him. If she or anyone has read his books and teachings they would’ve understood the true meaning of chanting. As Master once said if we can just sit and chant for monetary rewards ,we need not work and all be rich by now !!!
    The Grand Master has never taught us to hate , kill, bear grudges ,but only to let go, give and respect all religion. The Grand Master ‘s never command we obey his orders, but only guide us to become a better person as all true religion teaches, so how can The True Buddha School be a Cult ?
    As for the accusation of rape by a disciple ,in any schools you will always find good pupils and bad pupils ,unfortunately she’s one of the bad ones. Karma will catch up with her.
    I totally agree with Ray Liang ,well answered

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Find me another spiritual leader who can writes more than 250 books. Read up and understand. Buddha said sentinel beings are blind by their individual karma, why? All is down to affinity, strong or weak, it doesn’t matter.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

True Buddha School is a cult,the master Lu Yen Sheng has no real lineages from any of the 4 Tibetan Sect…it is considered a black sect,black sects used to be subdued by Guru Rinopche,the lotus borned in the past but cults like True Buddha School reemerges.The only real Vajrayana is of the 4 Tibetan sects-Nyingma,Sakya,Kagyu or Gelugpa.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

True Buddha School is a cult,the master Lu Yen Sheng has no real lineages from any of the 4 Tibetan Sect…it is considered a black sect,black sects used to be subdued by Guru Rinopche,the lotus borned in the past but cults like True Buddha School reemerges.The only real Vajrayana is of the 4 Tibetan sects-Nyingma,Sakya,Kagyu or Gelugpa.It is dangerous to have a root guru w/o real lineages,your karma will worsen and you easily become confused w/o proper guidance.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

It is late reply but…
    as I do not know how do you come up with the black sect.
    there are a lot of people I know been helped by the master. even you do not know him, sometimes he might help you too.
    also if TBS is a cult, then I am sure that the master already in trouble.
    as for Vajrayana, yes those are 4 Tibetan, and master has refuge with all of 4 Tibetan, includes small sect.
    also I been a member for like 17 years, if I will be confused, I already been confused for 17 years…

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Just went to lotus temple society, one practice that keeps bothering my mind.. The nun ask me to buy juice drink and snack to give to Buddha.. I just don’t get it.. Why would even Buddha need drink and snack??

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Just went to lotus temple society, one practice that keeps bothering my mind.. The nun ask me to buy juice drink and snack to give to Buddha.. I just don’t get it.. Why would even Buddha need drink and snack?? OM mani padme hom

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

RELAX RELAX but ALERT ALERT. It is wiser to guard our own thoughts. All arises from yourself. LU SHENG YEN is just as it is.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.