Can a Christian accept that others can be just devoted to their own religion as he/she is to Christianity?

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down
    ::

Check out these demographics of the world that we live in folks:
    According the “World Christian Encyclopedia: A comparative survey of churches and religions – AD 30 to 2200,” (David Barrett et al, editors) there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and many smaller ones.
    Some estimates:
    Christians are 32% of the world’s population, and the numbers are dropping.
    Islam accounts for 19% and is the fastest growing major religion in the world today.
    Hindus account for 13%
    Chinese folk religion: 6%
    Buddhists: 6%
    Tribal religions, shamanism, animism: 4%
    Atheists: 2% (the source separates Athesists from “no religion”)
    New religions: 2%
    Sikhism, Judaism, Spiritism, Baha’i Faith, Confucianism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, Shinto, Taoism, Wicca, and “Other”: each less that 1%
    Those who have no religion accounts for 12%.
    Source:Religious Tolerance.org http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm
    I’m not asking who is right and who is wrong.
    And I don’t think that we even want to go there.
    Why is it that when someone asks such a question that at least one person has to get all uptight and think that I am slamming Christianity? I’m not.
    I am encouraging tolerance.
    I’m not using the stats to prove any persons degree of devotion.
    When did facts not qualify as “substance”?
    I am not asking anyone to believe that anyone else’s faith is “true.” The “truth” of faith is just that – faith.
    Marinefirstinfantry: someone had to go there. Was it a “Christian” way to burn those accused of heresy? I don’t think it was very Christlike, but it was done in His name.
    PicassoInAction: yeah, but I didn’t have room to break that all down in my question, and I didn’t want to focus on Christianity. Thanks though.
    My apologies for not citing my source:
    http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html
    and Religious Tolerance.org http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldr…
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

YEAP SURE CAN.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Sure. But that doesn’t mean those people are right 😉

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I think most Christians would tell you that they do understand that others are devoted to their religion, but that doesn’t make them right about it. If a person believes their own religion is the only way to stay out of hell or some similar terrible place, they would say it doesn’t matter how dedicated they are, we have to try our darndest to get them to be our correct religion.
    Of course, plenty of folks in Christianity and other religions think that it’s enough to be a good person and to be dedicated to some kind of spirituality.
    You might like the site below, it has more information on world religious demographics.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

yes

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I am christian…I accept and love you all…just as jesus does!!!

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Of course they can! But it still means that they are misguided.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I would hope so. Jesus was accepting of all people–I would hope they would try to follow his example.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Absolutely. I’m sure that seems rather obvious to most folks.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

No, so f u c k off

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

And here I thought there would be some substance to your question, not just a bunch of facts.
    Are you trying to slam Christians? Is that your ultimate goal? If so, play hard.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

sure i believe that people can be just as devoted

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Yes, of course, but all your statistics indicate is that people adhere to a variety of religions. These statistics aren’t measuring the degree of devotion, just the claim to adhere to a certain one.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

YES!

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I certainly accept it. How else can I explain why Buddists die for their faith and moslems die for theirs? Does not mean I accept their beliefs are true.
    And as for for the survey, it depends on who’s being interviewed and who is conducting the interview. Other records show the Christian church is growing.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

They can accept it, but their doctrine teachers that such devotion is misleading them… oh well.
    Huh. No Agnosticism on there eh? Or maybe they grouped agnostics with athiests… fair enough I guess. No religion would probably be more along the line of agnostics now that I think about it, because it’s those who are “undecided”

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Of course people can be just as devoted to their other religions as we are, thats really a silly question. The real question should be, does devotion matter if the belief is wrong? IS someone devoted to someone if they dont know the truth about that person? No… they can THINK they love the person but unless they know who the person really is, they love their idea and thats it.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

A true Christian can accept the fact that someone else is devoted to their own religion.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Moderate Christians can accept this. Obviously the Pat Robertsons of the world can’t.
    There is No God but Christ.
    Kidding.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

It wasn’t a Christian way of life that attacked the Twin Towers in N.Y.
    So, who should be the ones practicing tolerance ?

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Christians can never accept anything that does not agree with their antiquated, twisted views 100%.
    When they are not too busy judging or condemning people, they are cramming their religion down other peoples throats.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.