Buddhists: Searching for a Dharma center, but overwhelmed by the options?

Forums Forum Buddhists: Searching for a Dharma center, but overwhelmed by the options?

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by .
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Up
    Down
    ::

A question from a Buddhist, for Buddhists, about Buddhism:
    I’m relocating to another state in the next couple of months. I’ve never been a member of a Sangha or Dharma center – I never could gather enough courage to try and attend. As part of my resolutions for the New Year, I want to make the effort to attend, for meditation, Dharma teachings, and just meeting other practitioners.
    Here’s the problem – I’m moving to a bigger city than I’ve ever lived in, and while my old home had very few options, my new city has TONS. I have no clue where to begin! Between non-sectarian groups, Mahayana, Theraveda/Vipassana, Vajrayana/Tibetan and Zen, and myself not having a specific sect that I follow, I have no idea where to go or what to do.
    If I had friends who were practicing in this area, I might ask them for advice, but none of my friends are Buddhists. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure out which place might suit me best?
    Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    Bill P: Let me clarify – there’s 33 different centers.
    bepfuddle: further clarification, I’ve been studying on my own for 3-4 years.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.